If you’re a homeowner, there’s a good chance you’ve heard about radon in the past. This odorless, invisible, radioactive gas can get into your home and build up in the air without detection. Once it gets to a certain point, breathing the air in your home can become dangerous.
Thousands of Americans die each year from lung cancer brought on by radon gas poisoning. In fact, it’s the number one cause of lung cancer in non-smokers and number two overall. Here’s how this dangerous gas can get into your home without you even knowing:
Radon is a naturally occurring gas that is released by the radioactive decay of radium in soil and water. Radium itself is formed by the decay of uranium and thorium and exists almost ubiquitously in soil. When it’s released it’s often drawn into homes as the air pressure is lower than the soil underneath typically. It comes into the homes through cracks in the foundation and walls, typically. The gas becomes trapped in the home and reach dangerously high concentrations over the course of years while the occupants are none the wiser. Luckily, this issue can be prevented by repairing the cracks.
If you own a home that uses well water, then you’re at risk of radon poisoning even if there are no cracks in your foundation or basement walls. Radon can get into the well water and can then spread when you engage in simple activities like showering and doing the dishes. This can also happen slowly over the course of years without you noticing.
In some cases, radon can even exist in the materials that your home is made out of. Brick, marble, and granite can all contain low levels of naturally occurring radioactivity. They can emit radon into your home as they decay, which can also build up over time.
Regardless of how radon gets into your home, the problem can be remediated. The first step is calling Radon Zapper for testing and inspection services. If we find your home has elevated levels of radon, we can remediate the issue as well. Give us a call today at 845-467-1117 to learn more!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.